Friday, April 20, 2012

Dilemma


So, I have a dilemma. 

Right when we were getting ready to switch our attention from our science investigation of energy to our history investigation of immigration, the children decided that they wanted to build a windmill that could light a light bulb. What a great intention! It would really put so much of their knowledge of energy into practical application.

The thing is, it is turning out to be more complicated than I thought it would be. It is more complicated than I thought it was going to be even when I thought it might be kind of complicated. I'm starting to realize that, in order for it to really work, we would need to use gears to change the rate of speed of the shaft and to adjust for the blah blah blah blah. OK, so I still don't really know what it will take, but I know it is more than we can accomplish in 5 weeks. 

I've been talking to others and trying to process how to deal with the fact that we will not accomplish what we set out to do. And we are still trying to hand over more time to think about immigration. I'm developing some ideas about the whole situation, but honestly I am curious about what you have to say about it. 

What do you think?
How should we face this reality?

1 comment:

  1. I really like your idea of saving the project stuff and carrying it over until next year. There is really no reason why everything we do has to be chunked into 9 month school year increments..I bet they would pick it right back up where they left off.

    ReplyDelete