Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Musical Investigation of Immigration




One of our guiding history questions is, "How would it feel to immigrate?" In order to help us think more deeply about our question, we have been putting scenes of the book Jessie Came Across the Sea  to music. Using another medium slows us down and gives us time to process our ideas about the thoughts and emotions these characters might have been experiencing and you wouldn't believe the thoughtful conversations that emerge while the children work. Music seems to be a really good medium for thinking about feelings.

Chris explained the process by saying,  "I think what we are trying to accomplish is… well I have never immigrated, so I don’t know how it feels, but while we write this music I might know what it feels like for Jessie. So I think we are trying to accomplish how it felt to her and all the things she was going through."

No comments:

Post a Comment