Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Jessie was my ancestor!

I keep overhearing conversations.
"I'm English and German and Irish.What are you?"

The children are starting to connect ideas about immigration back to their own families. I think it all started during one of our readings of  When Jessie Came Across the Sea.

Theo: Jessie was my ancestor!
Andrea: What do you mean by that?
Theo: Maybe someone who was like Jessie came from Russia or England or Italy and then came to America… actually that is not possible because my dad is an immigrant so… I am the son of an immigrant because my dad came from England.


I've been holding this conversation in my pocket. I've been letting is just sit in the back of our minds. I've been waiting for the right moment to bring it back to our circle. I can't wait to hear what they say about this idea now, weeks later.

Jessie was my ancestor... and she was yours, too.


No comments:

Post a Comment