Friday, May 4, 2012

Thinking For Jessie

We have been investigating immigration. We have been using music and drama to think about one of our guiding questions.

"What might it feel like to immigrate?"

Helping the children to be able to take this perspective was really high on my list of intentions for this history topic because it develops empathy. I wanted them to be able to put themselves in the shoes of an immigrant in order to connect to their own family history. These stories are not just about random people way back in history. These people were our parents and grandparents and great grandparents. Their journey is why we are here now at this place, in this culture, at this time. They were the life blood of America. But playing that role was not easy. I guess I hope they find respect and appreciation for those who have gone before.

And if they can empathize with their ancestors, then I think that perspective will help them to look at people in our day and see the faces of their ancestors. I hope that perspective guides their interactions with people who might be new to a place under any circumstance.

The most amazing part of working this way is that I cannot take the children there without also going there myself. I feel inspired by the stories I hear. I find greater and greater respect for the courage, determination and hope in the face of so much unknown with each immigration story I come across.

We have spent a great deal of time with one single picture book called When Jessie Came Across the Sea written by Amy Hest and illustrated by P.J. Lynch. After hearing the book several times, the children stepped into the shoes of Jessie as she left her home in a small village to travel to America.

The children then became the voice of Jessie to share her hopes, dreams and fears along the way.

Here are a few of the scenes accompanied by the children's words.

The village rabbi announces that he has a ticket to America and
that he will choose someone from the village to go in his place.


 "I feel hopeful that we can go to America."

 “Wow! America! I want to go but what if Grandma can’t handle herself without me?”

“Who is going to get chosen to go to America?

“I am sad that his brother is out of this world but I am also excited that there is another ticket open for America for a new life for me.”

“What if he picks me? I don’t want to go. It is far away from Grandma."







The rabbi arrives to announce to Jessie and her grandmother
that he has chosen Jessie to go to America.

“What if he picks me? I don’t want to go. I need to teach Grandma.”

“Me!?! Why me?”

“I’m mad because the Rabbi picked me and I am going to have to leave Grandma. I am determined because I can’t just give up and start crying all over the place and I have to go to America. And I am nervous because I am worried that I might not see Grandma again.”

                    “No! Don’t pick me! Pick Grandma instead … but then I wouldn’t be with Grandma either!”

“I can’t go without Grandmother but I can’t just give up! I don’t want to leave Grandmother.”







Grandmother waves goodbye as Jessie's ship departs for America.


“I am really nervous on the ship without Grandma. I don’t know any of these people. How will I know what to do or say?”

“Grandma! No I want to stay. It will be all different and strange. Grandma!!!! Don’t leave me!!!!”

“Please don’t do this. I very badly want to stay with you. You are my only relative. My worries are that you might die while I am gone. I couldn’t bear that in my heart. My heart would drop and shatter.”

“I am lonely already.”

“I am determined to finish this but I am very lonely and sad and afraid of all of these new people. I don’t know about them. But I am excited to go to the “promised land” and excited to learn a new language, but I am still REALLY sad about Grandma.”
 
“I am really excited that I am going to America. I want to have freedom and I want to earn money and sew lace in a shop and be happy there.”

“I am excited about America but I wonder if I can do it. I wonder if I can sew good enough. Will I be able to make enough money? Will it be hard in America or will it be easy?






Jessie is sad, lonely and sick during the stormy first half of her journey.

“Uhhhhhhhg, I feel really sick and sad. Why did the Rabbi choose me?”

“I hope I have a good life in America. I hope nothing happens to this ship.”

“I feel so uncertain about this journey. I don’t know if I should feel happy or sad. Sad because I miss Grandma and my home but happy that I am going to America. It is the land of opportunity and the streets are paved with gold. But I don’t know if I am going to be able to do it”

 “I am so afraid of these people and nervous about what I am going to do.”





After the storm, the passangers cheer up and begin to interact.
Maybe things won'd be so bad in the new land.
                                                 
                 
"I can’t wait for America but I’m going to miss Grandma. I am probably going to think of a way to bring her to America."

"The sun is coming out and I am happy now.”

“I am so happy that now we can have a little bit of fun, at least, because it wasn’t fun when we were all sad."


“Yay! The sun is coming out. Everyone is playing cards and being happy."

" I have a piece of Grandmother with me—her lace-- so I am going to sew with her lace. I still miss her but I am still happy that the sun came out.”

“What is it going to be like in America?"
                                     
"We are almost there."

"I am scared and happy and sad.”

“Hi! Would you like me to sew some lace for you? I could make you a handkerchief or fancy up your jacket.”


“I wonder what it is going to be like in America, where the streets are paved with gold."
                          
"Would you like me to sew something for you? I know how to sew.”







The whole ship gathers in silence to witness their first sights of America.


“Wow! Look at all of those tall buildings. I’ve never seen the Statue of Liberty before. In my old town there wasn’t a statue at all.”

“Yay! I am so happy that I get to be in America instead of this ship.”


“Whoa, is that really America? It is so… big!”

America? America? FINALLY! It took so long and I made it. At last!!”

“This is so nice being on the ship with my new friends but there is America. Now I am going to have to leave my new friends and I might not ever see them again. "

I am going to get Grandma here and I am going to have the time of my life here.”

“What happens if by the time I have enough money for the ticket, Grandmother has already passed away? Or what if she has grown too old and she won’t be able to take care of herself?”


“What if I don’t get past Ellis Island? What if I have to go all the way back?And if I do get in, where will I go? Will I be able to make money? 

“What if the person that takes care of me dies and I am all alone?"

"What if I won’t be able to get enough money to get food?”

Ellis Island! I really hope that we don’t have to fill out papers and sit for the longest time and ugh… Everyone says it is kind of nerve wracking.”

“What if I can’t understand anybody in America? I don’t speak English? Will I be able to get by with just my Russian? Will I be able to learn English? How long will it take me?"







Jessie is questioned at Ellis Island.


 “In Russia there are a bunch of trees and everything but in this place there are hardly any trees and it is so so crowded. It is like there are too many people here!”

“I am not used to this many people. I can hardly even see around. I can’t even see a centimeter in front of me there are so many people.”

“Where can I go to find the person that is going to take care of me?”

“I’ve never seen so many people and so many buildings. This place is so advanced that it is a bit scary. What happens if I don’t fit in? What happens if other people tease me and call me names? Will I fit in?”

“I can’t even find the right door. Is that it? No. Is that it? No. I am so confused right now!”

America? Ellis Island? I am here. I am proud of myself but it is BIG and I could get lost and there are so many people. Why did I come to America in the first place? 

“This place is… I’m confused because there are so many things. I have never seen this much stuff in my whole entire life. All I have seen are trees and a few houses until this day.”

"Will where I live be good or will it stink?”

“But wait, this place is gigantic. There are about 100 doors. Which one do I go in? There are so many people in these amazing uniforms but where am I going? What is this place? What do we do here?”

“I wonder if I am going to make it. Do I have all of the medical stuff? Can I run that far? [referencing the medical exam fitness test sometimes given] I hope I make it.





Years later, Jessie and a boy from the ship are reunited in New York.
Eventually he asks her to marry him, but Jessie wants to wait until Grandma can be there.

“I never thought I would see him again. I thought he would only be in my life one time."

“Lou! I remember him and he brings back good memories.”

“Oh my goodness, I haven’t seen him in year but I really like him because he is nice and kind. We have a lot in common. I make lace and he makes shoes and that is pretty in common. I can’t wait to hang out every single day.”

“I am so happy to see Lou. I want to date him because he is from Russia, just like me. He is my kind and we can speak Russian together and we are not just SOOO different. But if I dated this guy from Italy is would be like, “What?!?” And I know Lou, I know him really well. He makes me laugh and he’s so kind and joyful. He makes me happy.”

“Wait a few months or so. Give me a few months and then sure. I want Grandma to come and I almost have the amount of money that I would need to get her here.”

“Soon! I want to bring Grandma here so that she can see me all grown up and happy.”

“I want Grandma to come and see me get married and see how much I have grown and that I can speak English.”

“Maybe in a while, Lou. First I want my grandma to come and we can get to know each other better since we last met.”

2 comments:

  1. Their words are so moving...transporting to a time, a place, an experience. I, like you, feel this work develops an empathy that will carry forward with them into the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrea,
    I love the way in which you foreground your intention for the students' investigation of immigration. I think it is so easy for teachers to forget the importance of making their intentions explicit (not necessarily to the children, but to ourselves); I think this is a vital part of making any learning experience meaningful for the children. Almost more than this, though, I love the intention itself. For me, the chief purpose of reading literature (and there are, of course, dozens of purposes) is to develop and strengthen empathy in the reader. The children's statements provide powerful evidence of how well they were able to put themselves in Jessie's shoes. Finding musical correlatives for Jessie's feelings has given them the opportunity to think critically and analytically, and helped them understand those feelings - and Jessie's experience - more deeply.

    ReplyDelete