Wednesday, May 30, 2012

With a few coins in your pocket... (continued)

Here is the work introduced in my previous post titled "With a few coins in your pocket..."
I included the work of all of the children so look through as you would like. Again, this work was not made to show all of their solidified ideas about how immigration changed America, but rather it was through this process that they did some of their best thinking.


I am a Greek jewelry maker and I came to America because I wasn’t getting enough money in Greece. I made earrings with one of them having a z hanging from it and one with an omega hanging from it. The z is the last letter of the English alphabet and the omega is the last letter of the Greek alphabet. I did one z and one omega
because the Omega is for living in Greece and the z is for coming to America. In America I am getting more money because the earrings are a new style and people think they are interesting so they buy them and I get more money. Now American jewelry has a Greek influence.

 I am in the shoes of my father who immigrated to America. I want to fly on a concord so I created a model concord. I am going to America to seek education so I drew a computer on the side of the toy concord and wrote “Concord for Learners” on it. I will emigrate from the U.K. so I wrote U.K. Airways on it.

When I get to America, I will be a model maker. Inspired by my dad’s story, I will make model Concords. This is one of my models.








I made this because I emigrated from Greece and I needed to find a job in America. I decided that, as a blacksmith, I would make a lyre from my own home and everybody else would see what music was like back in Greece. I decided to bring the music with me to the new land. I would make these and sell these and everyone else would start liking them so other blacksmiths would start making them.





I needed a job in America. I thought of something an American might be interested in. Then I realized, I just simply had to show my old home. It would be so interesting to them. I mean who had ever seen stinging nettles? They would find it fascinating. And they had never seen the English flag so that would be pretty cool for them. It is going to be hard to find a job. But on the other hand, I will be able to fascinate people with my sewing.





I am from Russia. I made a toy boat to remind me of my trip from Russia to America. Back in Russia I was a sailor and in America I am a sailor too. I am bringing a toy boat to America to show America something new.






I am a German boat maker who makes large boats. I am also an air plane maker. I could help design a boat and then travel over to America on it, just like the designer of the Titanic. Once I get to America I could design more boats and help people get to other places on boats and airplanes. I would teach American about ways that boats work so they might want to use my ideas. This is how I would not be poor but still have a business going on in a new land.



I am a blacksmith from Ireland. I make horseshoes. I made a horse and I would bring that horse on the ship with me so that I can travel to places faster in America. When I got to America, I became a teacher and taught people how to make horse shoes. That is how I made money in America.



I am a chocolate maker from Germany. I came to America because I wanted to escape World War I. I came on a ship and I felt very alone in the world because I was one of the only people from Germany. I felt cold, sad and sort of worried that I wouldn’t make it. I think the chocolate making from Germany will help me get money and get a good job.





I am a Chinese toy maker. I came to America with my family to have a better life. I made a ship and life boats and my family to represent how I came to America. By me coming to America I will change it because there might not be certain types of toys that are like the Chinese versions.



I came to America as a food maker. I decided to make lasagna to show how I immigrated with the cheese shaped like my voyage on top. People probably haven’t had lasagna so I cold make a really good shop after I start out on the streets and such.



I am a living room designer from France. I came to America because I wanted to escape slavery. I needed to get money so I decided that a living room designer would get me money because I did the living room designs back in France and those people liked them. Now in America their living rooms have a part of France. They have French influence.

I am a mirror maker from Germany. I came to America because I wanted to have a better business because people didn’t want mirrors in Germany. I thought that since lots of people came from different places that they might want to see or try out a mirror from Germany to see what it is like. It will give a new variety of mirror to America. My talent might get more used than back in Germany.


1 comment:

  1. I am from Washington, D.C.. When I lived there I wanted to be a teacher and help children use media and materials to think critically and deeply. When I came to Richmond I got to help the 3rd graders make symbols to illustrate immigration stories. This makes me smile!

    ReplyDelete